Thursday, May 6, 2010

In The Company Of Brothers


I stood in the company of brothers,
Arm in arm with the others,
Expectantly waiting for Jesus,
To pour for us out what He pleases,
That cool, strong wind to blow,
That warm, soft chill that I know.

And then it came,
And none of us will be the same,
Our lives quickly changed,
Our goals rearranged,
By that still, small voice inside,
In that place, He now can abide.

For Him we’ve given up much,
Wealth, liberty and such,
But oh, what we’ve gained,
The treasures attained,
But gladly would I give it all,
And throw my crown to His feet at His call.

And how many times have I fallen?
And yet I hear His sweet voice callin’
“Child, come and be near me,
Run to me, hear me,
Forgiveness is yours for the askin’,
I am the Son you will bask in.

I am the Morning Star,
I am the cool, soft rain.
And once I’ve come, you’ll never be the same.
Your life will begin anew,
Child, come and be near me, too.


*Two roads diverged in a wood,
And long and still that I stood,
When at last a choice had I made,
“Goodbye to the wide road,” I bade.
As that still, small voice,
Helped me make the choice,
And I’ll never,
No I’ll never be the same.


©  2003 Frank J. McAvinchey

  

* With acknowledgement to the influence of the venerable Robert Frost, my unwitting mentor.

No comments: